As your belly grows and you start to accommodate for a bump is is common to see back muscles getting tight and pelvis pain as your baby grows. Everyone is different, and osteopathy looks thoroughly at what is occurring for YOU!
Osteopathy is safe in pregnancy. So what do we do to treat you?
- Gentle stretching techniques
- Soft tissue massage to reduce tension within muscles
- Articulation or gentle joint movement to increase the joint range of motion and to improve blood supply in and around the joint
- Inhibition / Neuromuscular Release to release acute "muscle spasm" without causing further irritation to inflamed tissues
- Manipulation and mobilisation to increase the range of motion of a specific joint where appropriate.
Why do you get sore during pregnancy?
As the body changes to make more space for a growing baby, the mother's body has to use different muscles to hold proper posture. The pelvis has to expand and change shape to accommodate a baby, as do the ribs (which expand). A mothers centre of gravity changes which means so does her gait and the way in which she walks, the feet turn out towards the end of pregnancy to allow for a belly.
Breathing is affected along with the ability for the diaphragm to move properly (the major breathing muscle), this is why in the last months accessory muscles of breathing around the upper chest and neck are used more, leading to upper back and neck pain.
Osteopathy can help with the following during and after pregnancy:
- Shortness of breath
- Rib pain - we can help to make more room for the baby, improving breathing for you and giving those little feet a comfortable place to rest
- Low back pain
- Pelvis pain
- Congestion within legs and general swelling of ankles
- Shoulder and neck pain
- Post pregnancy shoulder pain related to breast feeding